autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: coatings ?

Post Thanks / Like

coatings ?

I am tired of waxing all the time and was thinking about switching to one of the new coatings and I was wondering which one is easier to use the Optimum or C.quartz? I would prefer one that is more forgiving if I put to much on and had to level it with a microfiber. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: coatings ?

With Opti cost you only have a few minutes to level off high spots... My experience is about 15 minutes even though some say you have more time. I can't speak to Cquartz. I still think Opti coat is better applied with a MF pad than with a foam pad. Also always apply these outside in natural light on a non windy day. Shop lights will mask the high spots.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

CQuartz was easy to apply and is holding up nicely.
    "Tell Me What I Can't Do, and I'll Show You What I Can Do." ~Eugene

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    With Opti cost you only have a few minutes to level off high spots... My experience is about 15 minutes even though some say you have more time. I can't speak to Cquartz. I still think Opti coat is better applied with a MF pad than with a foam pad. Also always apply these outside in natural light on a non windy day. Shop lights will mask the high spots.
    I agree on the MF pad for OC. CQ should be easier.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

CQuartz is a bit easier to apply with less room for error, but Opti Coat will be more durable.

Post Thanks / Like

Both are easy to apply. I've applied both several times now.

CQuartz is more of a traditional method. Apply, let it sit for a little while, then buff off with microfiber towels. It can be layered like traditional waxes and sealants as well. All though you are suppose to get around 2 years of protection with it unlike any traditional wax or sealant.

Opti-Coat goes on really easy, you just have to make sure you level any high spots/excess. To do this, you need to be methodical about your application, only coat one panel at a time and have good lighting. I use a foam applicator to apply it and after a couple minutes I level off any areas of excess with a microfiber towel. Just wipe very lightly in one direction, don't try to buff it off like you would a wax.
    Opti-Coat is "permanent" so I guess it should last much longer than anything else.

There are pros and cons to each coating as well, so take that into consideration.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by panthercz View Post
    Both are easy to apply. I've applied both several times now.

CQuartz is more of a traditional method. Apply, let it sit for a little while, then buff off with microfiber towels. It can be layered like traditional waxes and sealants as well. All though you are suppose to get around 2 years of protection with it unlike any traditional wax or sealant.

Opti-Coat goes on really easy, you just have to make sure you level any high spots/excess. To do this, you need to be methodical about your application, only coat one panel at a time and have good lighting. I use a foam applicator to apply it and after a couple minutes I level off any areas of excess with a microfiber towel. Just wipe very lightly in one direction, don't try to buff it off like you would a wax.
    Opti-Coat is "permanent" so I guess it should last much longer than anything else.

There are pros and cons to each coating as well, so take that into consideration.
    I agree with most of this (particularly the pros and cons of each product).
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Applying OC: lighting is KEY! You want lots of natural light but you don't want bright light directly on the area you are inspecting.

On open areas like cars I use the back of my foam applicator to touch a high spot that doesn't flash at the same speed as the rest of the section.

In my environment if applied like a wowa the flash time is much quicker than was mentioned by others and I suggest that as soon as you see the majority of a section flash you should lightly brush (touch) any high spots that didn't flash right away.

Applied the way in the video below high spots are not an issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG
    OC Video: Opti-Coat 2.0

The first video shows application of Opti-Coat 2.0. Note the speed at which the product flashes is dependant on the temperature and humidity in my experience. The application to the taillight took place on a separate occasion but was spliced together in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a4637xYAag

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    A high spot is an area that is left too thick to cure clear. Basically, when most of the panel flashes to clear, look for these remnants and lightly buff them until gone:

[/QUOTE]

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I think Opti-coat 2.0 is about as easy as it comes. Time and patience is rewarding.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt@autogeek.net View Post
    CQuartz is a bit easier to apply with less room for error, but Opti Coat will be more durable.
    I agree

That is if I define easy as less of a learning curve and less ability to make an error.

Once you have experience with the products and assuming you have good lighting OC is easy.

So, OC has more variables involved that can complicate it's ease of use.

One point for those who haven't done the research..

You MUST get the surfaces completely and utterly clean and free of oils, etc. If you want proper durability from a coating unless.....

OC: Optimum polishes are compatible with OC so if they are used a less strenuous cleaning method is all that's needed after polishing and before coating.

CQ: you can use CarPro Eraser to clean the surface after polishing to remove all oils before applying CQuartz.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast