autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions about results of swirl removal

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and just recently purchased the intermediate swirl removal kit:

XMT Porter Cable 7424 Intermediate Swirl Remover Kit, polishing kit, xmt polishes, detailing kit

I have a 2005 dodge srt-4 that I took very good care of until I moved away to attend college a couple years ago. When I moved, I no longer had access to the facilities to take proper care of my car. Prior to attending college, I washed, clayed, and waxed my car on a regular basis. However nowadays, my car's paint is filled with swirls, imperfections, etc.

Last Thursday, I watched the included DVD "Principles of Maching Polishing" and got started attempting to remove the swirls from the paint with the intermediate swirl removal kit. This was the first time I had ever attempted a paint correction like this and my swirl removal procedure followed the steps included on the webpage for the swirl removal kit and on the DVD.

1) I first did a test spot with XMT #2 swirl remover. This didn't look like it did the trick so I stepped it up to XMT #3. To my untrained eye, this looked like it was working.

2) Apply XMT #3 with an Orange Lake Country pad, making 4-6 overlapping passes to each section.

3) Apply XMT #1 with a White Lake Country pad, making 4-6 overlapping passes to each section.

I applied the XMT caranuba glaze to one section of the hood just to see the results and left it at that. When I finished with the swirl removal, it was 5:30 am and I decided to go to bed and check the final results later in the day when the sun came out. I had a bright halogen light, but I figured the sunlight would provide a much better look.

When I finally got to take a look at the paint in the sun, I was pretty disappointed. All of the random cobweb swirls had been completely removed, but were replaced by much finer, more concentrated, less noticable concentric swirls. I wasn't able to achieve the mirror-like finish that I wanted. I'm not sure where I went wrong, but I apparently didn't perform a step or two correctly.

I applied steady pressure, set the PC polisher to the 5 setting, kept the PC polisher straight and kept the PC polisher movement slow. Does anyone have any idea what I may have done wrong? Again, I performed a preliminary test spot, and to my untrained eye, it appeared the major swirls were removed.

As an aside, I noticed that the swirl remover was turning to a powdery substance, I guess this is called "flashing", before I was able to finish my 4-6 passes on several occasions. What is usually the cause of this? Perhaps a dirty pad with caked polish?

I have attached a picture that I took of the hood after polishing. The picture isn't the greatest and I can provide another if necessary.

Thanks for all the help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Questions about results of swirl removal-2011-07-01_14-40-51_436-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Man brother I'm right there with ya, I have an 05 srt, and couldn't get the xmt line to finish down flawless no matter what i used rotary, flex or pc which surprised me. I've had success with it on customers car but not my own, go figure lol. If you want send me a pm with your address and I'll mail you some goodies or if you looking to purchase try pinnacle advance finishing polish, it's dat so you just have to make sure you break it down but finishes clear even with crazy LEDs pointed at the paint
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions about results of swirl removal

black pad + po85rd?