autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: BAD brake dust

Post Thanks / Like

BAD brake dust

Hey everyone, I've been away way to long and had a really hard winter I had to get through. I had some major issues with my rear brake pad this winter where the metal was grinding on the rotor creating a LOT of brake dust build up. Now my wheel is chocked full of red/brownish brake dust that is pretty hardned on. I've tried taking a power washer to it and it was a no go. So my question is what can I use on aluminum wheels to get that stuff off and not ruin the finish? I was thinking of trying CLR but I don't know what that would do to the wheel. Suggestions? Comments? Prayers??

Regular Member Executive Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BAD brake dust

Quote Originally Posted by jayhkr View Post
    Hey everyone, I've been away way to long and had a really hard winter I had to get through. I had some major issues with my rear brake pad this winter where the metal was grinding on the rotor creating a LOT of brake dust build up. Now my wheel is chocked full of red/brownish brake dust that is pretty hardned on. I've tried taking a power washer to it and it was a no go. So my question is what can I use on aluminum wheels to get that stuff off and not ruin the finish? I was thinking of trying CLR but I don't know what that would do to the wheel. Suggestions? Comments? Prayers??

I recently polished wheels for a customer that had the same issue with his aluminum wheels. One wheel in particular almost felt like sand-paper...it was so bad. All I can say is FLITZ, FLITZ, FLITZ!!! It FAR exceeded my expectations.

Start with:
    Flitz Industrial Strength Aluminum PreClean remove heavily-encrusted corrosion, lime, tarnish, grease, oil and water stains without dulling

Followed by:
    Flitz Metal Polish, Fiberglass & Paint Restorer will clean, polish, and protect any non-porous surface safely. Flitz Metal Polish, Fiberglass & Paint
    while using one of these
    Flitz Polish & Buff Ball Combo includes Flitz Mini Buff Ball and the original Flitz Polishing Ball. Polish metal, plastic, paint with Flitz polishes.

Hope this helps...Good Luck!!
    Jeremy Vizzi
    Executive Detail, LLC of Tampa Bay
    http://www.executivedetailllc.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax wheel cleaner first ... then polishing ??

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

My RAV4 has aluminum wheels that were packed with black brake dust - a real PITA to clean with OTC products. I used the DP Tire Gel with a wheel brush and had no probs. Others say Sonax (expensive) or Megs Wheel Brightener. I got the DP BOGO and it worked just fine, so I'm a happy camper.

Post Thanks / Like

What about the "Chrome Clad" wheel covers that are coming on a lot of new trucks and SUVs? Several people I know have them on their Dodge Rams and I have them on my wifes Expedition.

Mine are starting to look like that too. I have used Griots wheel cleaner (mild) and Armor All Wheel Cleaner (seemed more aggressive. - long story. I got it in a kit that had a car just like mine on the box).

I am afraid to polish them as I think they are just chromed plastic. Anyone know if they are or not and how to polish them?
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Kllerwheels on this one. I had a similar problem with a BMW, used Sonax...wow!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby View Post
    What about the "Chrome Clad" wheel covers that are coming on a lot of new trucks and SUVs? Several people I know have them on their Dodge Rams and I have them on my wifes Expedition.

Mine are starting to look like that too. I have used Griots wheel cleaner (mild) and Armor All Wheel Cleaner (seemed more aggressive. - long story. I got it in a kit that had a car just like mine on the box).

I am afraid to polish them as I think they are just chromed plastic. Anyone know if they are or not and how to polish them?
    Well fortunatly I won't have to worry about that any longer since I got the brake pads, calipers all fixed up. Now I just need to fix the wheels. I have some old flitz I can try, but will probably order me some sonax. It's about time for my yearly AG order anyway. Gotta return my GG polisher to get a new one anyway. Thanks for the replies everyone!