autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help Mike - LC HT Versus Regular Flat Pads

I asked this question in a little bit different way in the Detailing 101 section. Here's hoping Mike will chime in.

I'll be getting a 7424XP shortly and am torn/confused btwn the regular flat pads and HT. I like the idea of the fewer pads types for the HT but reading the descriptions the cyan, orange and crimson don't seem much diff from the yellow, white and blue in flat except that the price is nearly 2X.

The cars I'll be working on are DD's: a 2008 Dark Grey Metal Flake RAV4 with some light swirling and scuffs, and a 2011 Obsidian Black Lexus ES350 with maybe some very light swirling (tough to tell for sure as I haven't been able to hand wash in frigid PA). I'll be using WG TSR (if needed), WG Finishing Glaze, WG PPE and Menz Powerlock/Souveran.

This will be my first machine detail so I'm going gentle as possible. I was thinking 4 and 5.5 dia, 7/8 thick, white and blue flat pads or the 1.5" thick orange and crimson HT's in the same.

Which will be easier for a noob to use and give me a better finish? What sayeth the experts?

Mike Phillips

Re: Help Mike - LC HT Versus Regular Flat Pads

The primary differences between the Hydro-Tech Pads and the Flat Pads is they type of foam they are made with.

• Hydro-Tech Pads are Closed-Cell or Non-Reticulated
    • Flat Pads are Open Cell or Reticulated

Closed Cell foam makes it more difficult for liquids to move through the foam so they absorb liquids more slowly than open cell. With enough use though, the liquids you use will saturate into the pad, so both styles of foam will become wet with product.

The closed cell style foam is stiffer, or more dense when you start out but after the pads break in and become wet they soften up.

Both styles of foam work great and using the right products and technique you can get professional results with either type. The only way to know which type you prefer is to use them both over time and come to your own conclusion based upon personal preference.

I would recommend getting at least 1 or 2 each of the Hydro-Tech pads in the 5.5" size and get 1 or 2 of the flat pads in Orange, White and Gray and then go out into your garage and do some buffing.

I find I can use either style and get great results, a bigger factor in end results is technique.

If you only want to start with one type, then the open cell style foam pads have been in use in the body shop world and detailing world longer than closed-cell and millions of cars have been buffed out using them with all types of products and tool.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info Mike (of course). I recall seeing you (Mike) say something about better feel w/ thinner pads, and I believe you were using the thin HT pads. Do they start off not having as good of feel since they are closed sell need a break-in period? I wanted to try them out either way, because like you said you just have to see what works for you and what you are working on. The HT's do cost more, but I am assuming the hold up longer being closed cell foam.?.. Plus, weren't these pads designed for hard, European finishes? If so I would be very cautious w/ what swirl remover/abrasives I use with them on "known" to be soft Japanese finish. Just my opinion, and I am sure someone will correct me if I am out in left field on that.)

Post Thanks / Like

I have a ton of traditional pads, that I don't think I may ever wear out, but a lot of them don't have velcro big enough for my Flex 3401, so I bought a couple of HT 6.5" and was really impressed with them. I only used them once so I can't address the longevity issues, but for me the time savings of having to go over the car only twice instead of 3 times to get the same results (HT orange/crimson vs. traditional orange/white/black) is worth the cost difference. My two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont personally have any HT pads as all I use are Ubers and LC flats but I've read that HT pads have a much shorter lifespan and deteriorate faster. I've read numerous posts and threads about the foam falling apart after one use and if they are not throughly dry before you use them there is a high probability of the velcro coming off.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. If I got 5.5 flat and 4" HT would I be able to tell the diff? Also, I noticed you mention the black flat versus the softer blue. Is the black a better choice for what I'm doing?

Thanks again for your help. One of the reasons I chose AG is the wealth of info here.