autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Acidic wheel cleaner on a painted rim?

is this from a body shop?

there is a high likihood that they are outsourcing their clean up work...their "post-op detailing". most of the time, if it is a production type shop, they will find whomever is barely acceptable based on cost BUT not to the point where they are a liability for the sending shop. i find it incredibly hard to believe they would be so careless though! someone somewhere made a huge mistake.

best of luck finding out how this happened. you might want to make some complaints to the BBB and possibly take them to small claims court. we aren't talking about some rotas here, volk wheels are incredibly expensive and having them reconditioned to pre-damage condition will be hard and expensive. doable, don't get me wrong, but a professional will have to handle it - someone who reconditions wheels as a full time job.

also, a tip on finding a legitmate body shop - find a reliable exotics dealer and get some referrals. for instance, in my area, i reached out to the ferrari dealership and also a place that specializes in air cooled porsche sales. between the two of them i had 3 shops for reference. also, find a reputable performance shop that deals with high quality stuff and ask them who they use. after a few of these sorts of hunts, you should be able to find a common denominator or two.

i did this when my normal shop contact was in-between places and i absolutely don't trust anyone else.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    is this from a body shop?

there is a high likihood that they are outsourcing their clean up work...their "post-op detailing". most of the time, if it is a production type shop, they will find whomever is barely acceptable based on cost. i find it incredibly hard to believe they would be so careless though! someone somewhere made a huge mistake.

also, a tip on finding a legitmate body shop - find a reliable exotics dealer and get some referrals. for instance, in my area, i reached out to the ferrari dealership and also a place that specializes in air cooled porsche sales. between the two of them i had 3 shops for reference. also, find a reputable performance shop that deals with high quality stuff and ask them who they use. after a few of these sorts of hunts, you should be able to find a common denominator or two.

i did this when my normal shop contact was in-between places and i absolutely don't trust anyone else.
    that does not always work lol

i tried that first.

had my supra at a bmw, landrover, jaguar dealership for repairs when someone backed into me. i had to take it back literally 4 times.. parts were hanging off the car, things werent bolted in place, i had lights unplugged. paint peeled off a week after..... it was simply horrible.

after the 4th time i just said F it and didnt go back again. it was useless, and they probably thought i was messing with them with all the stuff i kept finding wrong with the car upon further driving/inspection

and i know they do not outsource their "detailing", they do it all in house, and even say on their website they do it in house. if they did outsource it, it would either appear on the bill, and it would be false advertisement to state that they did it on their site, but then outsourced it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TurboToys View Post
    that does not always work lol

i tried that first.

had my supra at a bmw, landrover, jaguar dealership for repairs when someone backed into me. i had to take it back literally 4 times.. parts were hanging off the car, things werent bolted in place, i had lights unplugged. paint peeled off a week after..... it was simply horrible.

after the 4th time i just said F it and didnt go back again. it was useless, and they probably thought i was messing with them with all the stuff i kept finding wrong with the car upon further driving/inspection

and i know they do not outsource their "detailing", they do it all in house, and even say on their website they do it in house. if they did outsource it, it would either appear on the bill, and it would be false advertisement to state that they did it on their site, but then outsourced it
    those aren't exotics my friend. i'm talking about asking, moving forward, for referrals from a dealership that deals with only discerning customers - porsche and ferrari, mainly. you don't have many clueless moms or college girls driving porsche or ferrari - practically everyone who spends the money on those cars is concerned about condition to a pretty high degree. most of the time ferrari dealerships, if stand alone, are too small to have in house body works and send them to a shop that is primo. and like i said a private used sales business dedicated to such cars, if available, like this - Holt Motorsports - used porsche 911 dealer, certified pre owned, porsche 911,porsche 993,porsche 996.

also, outsourced detailing wouldn't have to show up on a bill. it would be a line item for clean up just like it would if they did it there. many production shops have contracts with a local volume detailer because it makes financial sense, depending on the size of the operation. they can sub-contract all they want and say they do it themselves. i'm not saying this is the case with your experience because i don't know anything about them, but i'm just saying i know several shops who don't "detail" on site and don't tell anyone otherwise.

best of luck in your quest.

Post Thanks / Like

those aren't exotics my friend. i'm talking about asking, moving forward, for referrals from a dealership that deals with only discerning customers - porsche and ferrari, mainly. you don't have many clueless moms or college girls driving porsche or ferrari - practically everyone who spends the money on those cars is concerned about condition to a pretty high degree. most of the time ferrari dealerships, if stand alone, are too small to have in house body works and send them to a shop that is primo. and like i said a private used sales business dedicated to such cars, if available, like this - Holt Motorsports - used porsche 911 dealer, certified pre owned, porsche 911,porsche 993,porsche 996.

also, outsourced detailing wouldn't have to show up on a bill. it would be a line item for clean up just like it would if they did it there. many production shops have contracts with a local volume detailer because it makes financial sense, depending on the size of the operation. they can sub-contract all they want and say they do it themselves. i'm not saying this is the case with your experience because i don't know anything about them, but i'm just saying i know several shops who don't "detail" on site and don't tell anyone otherwise.

best of luck in your quest.
    true, but if they did not do their detailing in house, then they would just be backing themselves in a corner for false advertisement by stating they do it in house to all the public.

and i will look into finding out which shops the higher end dealers like to use.. hopefully able to avoid these headaches if something happens in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TurboToys View Post
    true, but if they did not do their detailing in house, then they would just be backing themselves in a corner for false advertisement by stating they do it in house to all the public.

and i will look into finding out which shops the higher end dealers like to use.. hopefully able to avoid these headaches if something happens in the future.
    i think you should put the name of this shop out so if someone searches on google they will find it. also, make sure you leave poor reviews for them on citysearch, google, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

i think you should put the name of this shop out so if someone searches on google they will find it. also, make sure you leave poor reviews for them on citysearch, google, etc.
    i will if they refuse to help or acknowledge that somebody used a product they shouldnt have on the wheel. i do know that dealers in the area like to use products from hi-temp. a company that makes cleaning products in bulk for the omaha area, and their acid based wheel cleaner is labeled 709. their non acid is 710... not exactly far off and hard ot grab the wrong one

Post Thanks / Like

I understand .They messed up your wheels and should fix them! But Im not sure you would even want them to try to fix what they did considering you have had so much trouble with them already .

If you have them done somewhere else your still out a vehicle and time spent getting there and back . Not to mention added stress of knowing if they are doing a good job for you.

Thats just how I think anyway . I would rather do a job myself if I can and have the time.

Someone else on another forum did the same exact thing to his clearcoated wheels with wheel acid and color sanding them with 2000 and polishing worked for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

Here is a video I find intresting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buddhadog View Post
    I understand .They messed up your wheels and should fix them! But Im not sure you would even want them to try to fix what they did considering you have had so much trouble with them already .

If you have them done somewhere else your still out a vehicle and time spent getting there and back . Not to mention added stress of knowing if they are doing a good job for you.

Thats just how I think anyway . I would rather do a job myself if I can and have the time.

Someone else on another forum did the same exact thing to his clearcoated wheels with wheel acid and color sanding them with 2000 and polishing worked for him.
    i can take the damage out, ive tried buffing it with a heavy cut dimishing abrasive (meguiars #4) and an orange LC pad on my makita. but the issue is that in order to get it all out i will need to take the rim apart, and taking a volk apart is not very nice, volk does not offer torque specs to the public. so you are guessing when reassembling a rim... not a good idea when the car its on can do better than 190.

and i would prefer the shop pay a rim refurbisher to do the work anyway. i doubt their shop is capable or has the torque specs required since the only ones who do, are authorized distributors and remanufcaturers for rims like these.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fly bye View Post

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast