autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Masking a Clear Bra for Polishing (Swirl Removal)

Looking for a recommendation for masking my clear bra when polishing the paint to remove swirls. I am concerned with using a tape product that might lift the clear bra material or may disintegrate during the polishing process and embed itself in the paint.

The paint protective film is a 3M product - can you tell me if you have polishing materials and other care products that are compatible with the clear bra?

Is there a process to remove embedded materials from the clear bra surface that would be similar to clay barring? The 3M people make the standard generic statement banning all abrasives and only use their products - please help.

Thank you and appreciate the advice provided over the years.

BentShaft

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Masking a Clear Bra for Polishing (Swirl Removal)

If it's still under warranty Try this link:

FAQs

If not: use same 3M recommendations or products with similar attributes as 3M's

The real fun starts when you are requested to remove a 3M protection film!
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

As for masking the bra, I have always and still use the regular 3M masking tape. Body shop suppliers sell it. It is the light green stuff. I have not had good luck with the regular painters tape. The 3M stuff is easy off and I have not had any issues with it lifting a bra...it's not THAT sticky. Yes, you can most certainly polish the clear bras. Now, if you dont want to void any warranties I can't advise on what to do. But, it can be and is done all the time. No worries.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Use the 3M blue masking tape to protect the 3M Film. You need to treat the film as a decal when you are using a polisher to insure you do not grab the film.

As for carrying for your 3M Bra This tip was just posted on our FB page - ‎3M Maintenance Tip : When your 3M Film (clear bra) has light scratches you can pour 70% rubbing alcohol on the area. Allow to fully dry. Follow up with 3M performance Finish, Wolfgang Sealant or DP Sealant. After a few hours the film should look good as new.

As for removing defects: Meguiar's #6 and scratchX works to remove deeper (if the tip above does not work) defects. You will need follow up with the rubbing alcohol process above.

Staining: Use XPEL paint protection Film cleaner or Meguiar's #9 with a microfiber applicator or DA or Wesley's Bleach.

MOST IMPORTANT STEP IN PROTECTING THE FILM - sealing it with an acrylic sealants the nest best are the polysealants.

Hope this helps.

These techniques are ONLY for Gen 3 3M Scotchgard films and not others and NOT ventureshield either.

These all have been tested and we provide these recommendations in a brochure to our customers. There may be others that work however these specifically were tested on the 3m film.
    Last edited by shineknee; 01-28-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice and info.