autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Plastic headlight cleaning

There's a guy I work with who has a 2004 Crossfire with dull headlight covers. They are the factory unit and Chrysler told him it would cost $500+ per light assembly to replace. Is there a good product he could use to clear them up. He tried some Turtle Wax liquid clay and it didn't help. I cleaned his car about two months ago using Klasse AIO,PB EX-P and 2 coats of RT66 Hot Rod Wet Wax. Now he's got the detailing bug and would really like to clean up his headlight covers without breaking the bank. Any suggestions I can pass along?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plastic headlight cleaning

Post Thanks / Like

if they're not too bad and he doesn't mind monthly upkeep, try some Plastix. If that doesn't help, try some SSR3 and if still no good, wetsand.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g35_coupe View Post
    if they're not too bad and he doesn't mind monthly upkeep, try some Plastix. If that doesn't help, try some SSR3 and if still no good, wetsand.
    I use One Grand Plastic Polish to clear my headlights and rear lights. Works similarly to Plastix. I typically will clean them up every couple of weeks and takes only a few minutes with a MF applicator and MF towel. A good coat of car wax can help protect them a little longer. I recently found that Fuzion turned my headlights yellow within a week or so, so some car waxes may not be compatable with my particular plastic polish choice.

G35,
    I would love to find a good plastic sealant to keep my headlights clear for months after I finally get around to sanding them down. What are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

His headlight lenses are pretty bad I think he's going to order the 3M kit from AG and give it a try. Thanks for the link Cinci.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    I use One Grand Plastic Polish to clear my headlights and rear lights. Works similarly to Plastix. I typically will clean them up every couple of weeks and takes only a few minutes with a MF applicator and MF towel. A good coat of car wax can help protect them a little longer. I recently found that Fuzion turned my headlights yellow within a week or so, so some car waxes may not be compatable with my particular plastic polish choice.

G35,
    I would love to find a good plastic sealant to keep my headlights clear for months after I finally get around to sanding them down. What are you using?
    I've been using the Spar/Urethane mix and it's kept them looking pristine.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Meg's Headlight Restoration Kit and then protect them with Optimum Poli-Seal.
    My Versa probably looks better than yours

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g35_coupe View Post
    I've been using the Spar/Urethane mix and it's kept them looking pristine.
    I live in California. Land of water-based paints and varnishes. I'm not sure if I can get the real Spar Urethane to make the cocktail.

It would be nice to get a couple of years out of a treatment, but I may have to settle for a spray sealant. I'm hoping that I could find something that lasts 6+ months so that I retreat 1x per quarter to keep them pristine.

Your bottle of sealant concept for each headlight treatment would be a nice dividend for customers. I can always find my carpet cleaner because I have his bottle of spot treatment in the laundry room.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried the Diamondite kit. I tried the Megs headlight cleaner system which didn't cut the heavy stuff. Megs 105 with an orange pad didn't cut it either. I need to buy some wet/dry sandpaper or a kit.

Hopefully, I can find a nice sealant that will last 6-12 months. So far, the Spar Urethane cocktail seems to be the best option if I can buy the Urethane in SoCal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast