autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Quote Originally Posted by denns1989 View Post

Thank you so much for sharing this process, with the help of a friend we were able to bring back the paint on my "Survivor" Hot Rod this past weekend, painted in approx 1961 & parked in a garage from 1970 - 2014 without ever being washed I followed your instructions & was blown away with the results.

Thanks Again

Jer

Before & After

Hi Jer,

The before and after difference is incredible!

I uploaded your pictures to the gallery so they can be displayed in full size...

How about starting your own thread and share the story behind the car? Do you have any more before and after pictures for example of the entire car?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

FANTASTIC!

As Mike asks, may we have the 'back story'?

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

As had been said many times before this is a fantastic article/thread that you've made available to the world. I'm really looking forward to trying this mg07 trick on my Avanti.

I noticed though on page 6 of this thread you mention paint condition and "extreme oxidation." I think I may have a case of this in some spots on my car. It appears there was some heat damage around the hood from engine heat at some point in time (see the attached pictures).

Anyway you mention needing to remove that "dead" paint. What do you recommend? My first thought would have been a compound, but after reading your article I'm not sure. As you can see I've been able to restore a decent shine to most of the other paint (sorry no before pictures this was a couple of years ago before I had found autogeek). I'm just not sure where to start.

I will definitely begin a dedicated project thread once I get going on this (need to do a little shopping first :-) This car is hopefully going to a big concourse at the end of the month.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeineracer View Post
    Mike,

As had been said many times before this is a fantastic article/thread that you've made available to the world. I'm really looking forward to trying this mg07 trick on my Avanti.

I noticed though on page 6 of this thread you mention paint condition and "extreme oxidation." I think I may have a case of this in some spots on my car. It appears there was some heat damage around the hood from engine heat at some point in time (see the attached pictures).

Anyway you mention needing to remove that "dead" paint. What do you recommend? My first thought would have been a compound, but after reading your article I'm not sure. As you can see I've been able to restore a decent shine to most of the other paint (sorry no before pictures this was a couple of years ago before I had found autogeek). I'm just not sure where to start.
    The first attempt to remove the oxidation if you want to be uber careful is to simply use a terry cloth wash cloth like you use when you take bath or shower. Like this,

Basically you're using these two things to remove the oxidation...

The nap or cotton loop of fiber.
    You're elbow grease.

By staying this safe you can remove a lot of the oxidation in the safest manner possible.

If using this technique isn't working fast enough or effective enough AND you feel you have enough paint then you can try using either a medium cut polish or a compound to remove more of the dead topical paint.

Just be warned that

A: If the paint is thin already you may remove too much and expose the primer.

B: If this is a metallic finish you'll start changing the looks of the paint as you compound into the actual metallic flake.

Neither of the above to mistakes can be undone.

How to proceed is up to you but work carefully.

I will definitely begin a dedicated project thread once I get going on this (need to do a little shopping first :-) This car is hopefully going to a big concourse at the end of the month.

[/QUOTE]

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Hi Jer,

The before and after difference is incredible!

How about starting your own thread and share the story behind the car? Do you have any more before and after pictures for example of the entire car?

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    FANTASTIC!

As Mike asks, may we have the 'back story'?

Bill
    Happy to share my story, here is my new thread :

Preservation of my "Survivor"/"Garage Find" Hot Rod Model A

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a ton Mike! This is the progress I've made so far using this process!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints-velpicstitch20150403_143021-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow!

Post Thanks / Like

Would any age SS paint benefit from #7?

The mother-in-law has '68 California Special that was repainted a few years back, the only thing I know so far is it was painted to match back then. (I'm looking into where she got it done, and I'll be giving them a call to see exactly what was used to repaint)

I'm just curious if they used SS, would it help? It's been garage stored, but rarely, if at all waxed.

Post Thanks / Like

I got linked to this thread via a thread on another board and I gotta say, this might be the most awesome information filled thread I've ever read on any detailing topic. I find it to be incredibly selfless and awesome to be willing to share this knowledge with everyone.

I'm going to re-read this post several times so I can soak it all in (no pun intended), especially since my neighbor, who coincidentally has a mid-late 70's Lincoln, wants to do some work on his car. It's his grandfather's car that he bought new and still has the original paint on it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Would any age SS paint benefit from #7?

The mother-in-law has '68 California Special that was repainted a few years back, the only thing I know so far is it was painted to match back then. (I'm looking into where she got it done, and I'll be giving them a call to see exactly what was used to repaint)

I'm just curious if they used SS, would it help? It's been garage stored, but rarely, if at all waxed.
    In a nut shell...#7 won't hurt anything. Just try it on an inconspicuous area(spot) and see what the result are to your liking.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast