autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Black plastic trim restore

I have a 2006 Honda Pilot with black trim on the rear bumper, under the front of the car, and the mudflaps. What is the best way to restore and protect these instead of just dressing them. I have some Mother's back to black, but it doesn't seem to do the trick. Someone mentioned a Poorboys product. Are there any others that people have good experience with.

Jenn

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black plastic trim restore

I have had alot of experience with Poorboy's Trim Restorer and find it is very good. However, if you have a heat gun then you can heat the plastic up which gradually darkens the color without having to use product so you never have to worry about reapplying some type of dressing to maintain that 'like new' appearance.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both Poorboys Trim Restorer and Black Wow and they both have great features. Some people dont have good luck with BW because the trim has to be thououghly cleaned with 50/50 alcohol and water before application. Depending on how bad the plastic is, it also may take 2 coats of BW. I got about 4 months out of BW before reapplication. Also, very little BW is needed to do the trim.

I just recently used PB's Trim Restorer and also liked it. The trim restorer is very easy to use. Just apply it to the plastic, let it soak in for a few minutes and wipe off - a second coat was not needed. Afterwards, I applied a coat of 303 Aerospace Protectant for UV protection. So far I have only had the PB trim restorer on for a month so I cant comment on the durability.

Both products are great, but I think the best all around product would be PB's trim restorer for price and ease of use.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I've found the lovely Texas heat and sun aren't very friendly to the plastic trim. What have you found to be the best wax/sealants that withstand the weather here?

Post Thanks / Like

I just recived and did a review on the PB Trim Restorer. So so I really like it and it definatly makes a difference in how the trim look.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-restorer.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn1270 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I've found the lovely Texas heat and sun aren't very friendly to the plastic trim. What have you found to be the best wax/sealants that withstand the weather here?
    So far, the only sealants I have tried are Poorboys EX and Chemical Guys Jet Seal. Again these are both good sealants. Both are easy to apply and remove. The PB's EX gave my red paint more of a warm glow while the Jet Seal gave it more of a hard coated shell look...if that makes sense. The PB's EX is more of a one step product compared to the Jet Seal which afterwards I coated with wax.

Blackfire Wet Diamond is also supposed to be good but I have yet to try it.

I think you would be happy with the PB's EX. Everytime I use it I always get complements.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have any ideas how long it lasts? Does it need any prep or just wash and go?

Jenn

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried 303 Aerospace and PoorBoy's Trim Restore and was dissappointed because a white haze would come back after a period of time on my windshield cowl. I only washed the trim with soap and water so that may have been the issue.

I used Black Wow, and really like it, but I used an APC to clean the trim beforehand for this product so that might have been why I didn't get as good of result as with the 303 or PoorBoys. The Black Wow will last forever as you really only need a little bit, and it's on BOGO right now too.

Post Thanks / Like

I found that Aerospace 303 does a magical job on both rubber and plastic trim. Of course, with a lot of these products, your results will probably wear off after repetitive driving,etc...but with regular use you can see a huge difference

Post Thanks / Like

303 is hands down the winner IMO! I have used others, but haven't tried them all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast