autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Overspray remover

My Camry was in the bodyshop for extensive repair and when all was done it came out great. However, the prep person did a very bad job covering the car that does not need to be painted and the interior as well.
    The interior and exterior was covered with overspray. Yes I said interior.

The issue is the roof is very heavy in overspray and I used Wolfgang clay with no results. It was only able to remove overspray from the glass.

I am thinking about buying a more aggressive clay but do not want to resort to "clay block" or Meguiars red clay that may mar the finish. What type clay can I get?

FYI: The overspray I feel is very fine and evenly covered. I can not see it but only feel.

The bodyshop want to have their onsite pro hack detailer fix it. Uh, I will pass on this free offer.
    There is no place like 172.0.0.1

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Overspray remover

claying and polishing usually do the trick, sometimes you need to clay more than once or move to a more aggressive clay like the Megs that you noted.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I would go over it with a solvent to loosen the overspray up then go over it with a polish. You can even try a plastic razor blade since you will need to polish it anyway. Let's start over-lol, wipe down with a solvent to loosen it up, go over it with a plastic razor blade and then polish what is left of the overspray.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    I would go over it with a solvent to loosen the overspray up then go over it with a polish. You can even try a plastic razor blade since you will need to polish it anyway. Let's start over-lol, wipe down with a solvent to loosen it up, go over it with a plastic razor blade and then polish what is left of the overspray.

what do you use for a solvent?

Post Thanks / Like

Prepsol, Acyrosol, 3M Wax and Adhesive Remover ... Griots has one too.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input.
    I am going to try ClayMagic medium grade clay and polish out with SwirlX with a PC.
    See how this goes this weekend. I was told any maring the aggrassive clay leaves can be easily removed with a polish and PC.
    There is no place like 172.0.0.1

Post Thanks / Like

I just dealt with this very same issue yesterday. My cousin's car got over-sprayed a couple of weeks ago. We tried using clay, but it didn't really remove too much. Then we tried M105 and that removed quite a bit in just one pass with a lot less effort. So I agree with your method. Let us know how it works out.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Mike Phillips

Other options for solvents for the outside would be,

Lacquer thinner
    Mineral Spirits (pretty weak but very safe to try)
    Turpentine
    Goo-Gone
    Goof-Off
    Motsenbocker's LIFT OFF 4

For the inside, any place that see high contact like where you sit or arm rests it will wear off, the rest of the surfaces it will be touch to remove it. Maybe stick the body shop with the bill for a brand new interior?

If you're going to have to get so aggressive as to have to use a plastic razor blade then using an aggressive clay bar won't be any more damaging. With either approach you're going to have to re-polish the paint to remove any scuffing, marring or scratching.

This just goes to show that one of the best and most likely places for a car to get overspray is at a body shop, whether it happens when the car is in the paint booth or simply parked in or around the body shop. Body shops spray paint, not always inside the paint booth, thus the potential for air-born overspray paint is high and anything in the area is at risk.

Good luck getting it all off.