autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Heavy oxidation on boat?

I am starting to detail boats and have some questions...

1. How can I remove heavy oxidation from both alluminum and fiberglass boats?

2. I have heard that you should polish only above the hull...true?

3. Can you use wax or sealant on the entire outside of the boat or will this make the boat unstable in the water?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heavy oxidation on boat?

Hello, I have used 3M wax restoration and I just heard from a Friend of mines that had his 40FT Luhrs detailed that the guys used this product called AQUABUFF 1000 & AQUABUFF 2000. I plan to use this Aqua Buff next time on my boat ....check it out hope it helps

Mike Phillips

[quote=14automobiles;261597]

Quote Originally Posted by 14automobiles View Post
    1. How can I remove heavy oxidation from both aluminum and fiberglass boats?
    For oxidized gel-coats Meguiar's and 3M both make aggressive compounds you can use with a wool cutting pad with a rotary buffer.

Meguiar's Marine Line Products

3M Marine Line Products - (scroll and look towards the bottom)

For aluminum you always want to find out if it's bare or straight aluminum, and if not if it's coated with something or anodized. You can't buff out anodized aluminum. If it's coated, you need to find out what it's coated with and treat the coating. IF it's bare or straight aluminum then you can polish it with any product recommended for restoring oxidized aluminum.

Check out this page for more information on polishing and restoring aluminum.

Wolfgang MetallWerk™ Aluminum Polishing System

2. I have heard that you should polish only above the hull...true?
    I've heard this before too, some boats have special paints to prevent barnacles from attaching to the hull so you probably wouldn't want to buff this coating off. Probably a good idea to do some extra research on the coatings used on hulls and recommendations for maintenance.

3. Can you use wax or sealant on the entire outside of the boat or will this make the boat unstable in the water?
    It won't make it unstable, but check into the different coatings used and find out if there are any limits or recommendations as to how to properly take care of these coatings in any.

Post Thanks / Like

The speacial paint is usually black and I wouldn't buff it. It will transfer onto you pads and stain them. Just run some tape along the edge of the paint and the surface to be buffed. I think that the paint is called anti fouling paint or some thing like that. If you don't like how the paint looks go and buy some more and put another coat on. Just remember that a few good gallons of that stuff isn't cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

bigge 441 is correct its called anti-fouling paint. a lot of boats that stay in the water for extended amoutns of times have it. if the boat is meant to be trailered it might just be the same as the top half and more than likely a gel-coat
    Peter's Detailing

-2001 Chevy 2500 Suburban

-1994 Chevy S10

-1989 Baja 240 Sport (454 BBC)

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Mike.Phillips@Autogeek;261624]

For oxidized gel-coats Meguiar's and 3M both make aggressive compounds you can use with a wool cutting pad with a rotary buffer.

Meguiar's Marine Line Products

3M Marine Line Products - (scroll and look towards the bottom)

For aluminum you always want to find out if it's bare or straight aluminum, and if not if it's coated with something or anodized. You can't buff out anodized aluminum. If it's coated, you need to find out what it's coated with and treat the coating. IF it's bare or straight aluminum then you can polish it with any product recommended for restoring oxidized aluminum.

Check out this page for more information on polishing and restoring aluminum.

Wolfgang MetallWerk™ Aluminum Polishing System

I've heard this before too, some boats have special paints to prevent barnacles from attaching to the hull so you probably wouldn't want to buff this coating off. Probably a good idea to do some extra research on the coatings used on hulls and recommendations for maintenance.

It won't make it unstable, but check into the different coatings used and find out if there are any limits or recommendations as to how to properly take care of these coatings in any.

thanks Mike. I will also do some more research on where to wax and where not to wax on a boat's exterior.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When doing the hull go from the rub rail to the water line.
    four star makes very good marine products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom N View Post

So don't go below the water line with any buffing? If there is oxidation build up below the water line what should I do to get it off without buffing? thanks

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
    Hi Tom,

Since this is your first post, welcome to Autogeek Online!

Hope to see you start your own thread with some pictures of your boat?

Mike Phillips

So don't go below the water line with any buffing? If there is oxidation build up below the water line what should I do to get it off without buffing? thanks
    And this is they type of problems you run into when you start detailing boats that have specialty coatings.

At this point, you might want to start researching more information specif to marine watercraft coatings and marine detailing.

Make sure you can make it profitable too... I've only detailed a few large boats and it wasn't fun and barely profitable and in each case the owner's expectations were very high. It's definitely a niche that can be carved out but if you're going to to it you might as well do it right and that will start with getting head knowledge, not hands-on knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast