autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Random vs 7424xp

Quote Originally Posted by MisterShark View Post
    I'm guessing that the PC's clutch is similiar to the ones they (and many, many other manufacturers) feature in cordless drill/drivers: it reacts to resistance upon it's intended rotation.

If you've used a drill/driver to turn screws into soft wood then you know how this works. You set the turnable numbered collar (located just above the drill's chuck) to a low number and the drill will stop turning (and start clicking instead) in order to prevent the screw from being screwed too far into the wood. The harder the wood (or other surface you're driving the screw into) the higher the number you dial up on the clutch collar.

With the PC 7424XP they've pre-set the clutch to a predetermined resistance setting so that it's impossible to overly exert pressure and have the pad still continue to turn. This is what makes the tool safe and probably impossible to burn paint with.
    Here's a thread I found that was posted by Kevin Brown. He did an awesome job in explaining how a DA works. BTW there is no clutch in a DA.

Here are a few rudimentary diagrams that will hopefully help you understand how the movement is created:

Post Thanks / Like

OK, glad you quoted me in order to illustrate I was mistaken in my guess.
    James

Post Thanks / Like

OK, glad you quoted me in order to illustrate I was mistaken in my guess.
    Just trying to correct your wrong guess.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

BTW there is no clutch in a DA.
    And just to note, in the past when I've referred to it as a clutch it's because I needed a term to explain to the average person sitting in a classroom, sometimes 20 people sometimes 50 people that they can wrap their minds around.

Dissecting a topic on a discussion forum is alway a fun sport, standing in front of large groups of people explaining the safety features of a tool when most of the people are scared they're going to either instill swirls or burn through the paint are two different things and often times I'm simply trying to address a BIGGER pictures than a handful of people on some discussion forum.

Make sense?

For example, the class I taught just this last weekend for Porsche owners,

Pictures & Comments from October 17th, 2009 Saturday Detailing 101

Most the guys attending this could wrap their minds around the idea of a mechanism that has the ability to slip so as not to instill swirls and/or remove too much paint and burn through the clear and expose the color coat.

Including the owner, who had never used a machine on paint before this class and now has the confidence to use one to finish creating a swirl-free finish over the rest of his Porsche.

And Mike in this picture who is an engineer by trade..

By the way, has anyone figured out what the SPECIFIC name is for the "Mechanisms" used in the 3 varieties of DA Polishers?
    PC
    • G110/G220
    • Griot's ROP

If the word clutch is a problem, what is the correct name?

Just mechanism?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3 View Post
    mike.. what are your impressions of the Flex 3401 and how do you like it?
    I like it.

Note, it doesn't have a clutch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I like it.

Note, it doesn't have a clutch.

thanks for the response...

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the reason I started this whole thread .... I have figured it all out.

If you want to know which one of the pc 7424xp, new griots, Meg 110, cyclo or even the flex to get, you should find the time to attend Mike's detailing 101 class.

I got to try every one I wanted to try on either some test hoods or even on a student's Porsche. The class is a great way to spend a day, get your hands on the machines and get a ton of questions answered. Meghan was great in bringing out product and Mike made sure folks were not only educated in the 5 step process, but had a chance to do the "difficult" ones that are hard to replicate at home for most noobs/advanced noobs.

Don't know why the two bucket is best? Never clayed before? Don't want to drop $$$$$ on a polisher until you tried one? Don't know the difference between a wowo and wodwo product? This is the place!

I knew most of those things and simply wanted to get my hands on the polishers, which I did. However, I learned things about all of the steps.

All I can say is find the time to attend a class. AG is in beautiful Florida, do you really need an excuse to make a trip?

My two cents, btw, get the Griots if you are in that price range. Splurge on the flex if you can afford it!
    Last edited by mchess1; 10-19-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Typo
    2016 Porsche Boxster Black Edition 6MT Sports Suspension
    2013 BMW 228i Alpine White Jon

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, has anyone figured out what the SPECIFIC name is for the "Mechanisms" used in the 3 varieties of DA Polishers?

PC
    • G110/G220
    • Griot's ROP

If the word clutch is a problem, what is the correct name?

Just mechanism?

I recently fielded our collective question about what the industry term might be for the 'mechanism':

My question to Porter-Cable: "What is the mechanism called that causes the polisher to stop rotation when excessive pressure is exerted upon it?

Some of us are having a discussion on an online auto detailing forum and I incorrectly referred to the mechanism as a 'clutch' (such as my drill has). I'd like to clarify this for the sake of accuracy.

Thanks."

Porter-Cable's reply: "Dear James, we believe the following information addresses your inquiry.
    The pad itself may stop rotating temporarily with excessive pressure, because it is mounted into a free-floating Spindle Bearing Assembly. However the overall mechanism is fixed & therefore never stops orbiting when the machine is running, unless something is damaged or worn.
    Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. If your question remains unresolved or if you require additional information please update this incident"

So there you have it. I guess our 'mechanism' is called a "free-floating Spindle Bearing Assembly"
    James

Mike Phillips

So there you have it. I guess our 'mechanism' is called a "free-floating Spindle Bearing Assembly"
    Thanks for contacting the manufacture of the PC and getting their answer, sounds good to me.

Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly or FFSBA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for contacting the manufacture of the PC and getting their answer, sounds good to me.

Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly or FFSBA

Happy to be of D.O. service
    James

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast